[OS X TeX] Publicon today

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Mon Mar 13 15:29:45 EST 2006

On Mar 12, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Daniel Flatin wrote:

> It has been two years since Wolfram released Publicon. I was
> wondering if anyone on this list uses this tool today. If so, do
> you use it as a stand alone document tool or a work environment
> that you export to a LaTeX rendering environment? I have been happy
> with TeXShop so far, but I find myself struggling with customizing
> document formats. There are so many different solutions within
> LaTeX in general, and in many cases the solutions are small,
> purpose specific, and supported by a single author. The fancyhdr
> package by Piet van Oostrum comes to mind. Any complete LaTeX
> working environment is a pastiche of different packages, each with
> it's own documentation, and perhaps second order documentation
> about how two packages interact. It seems endless.

I have been using TeX and LaTeX for three years and agree with you.
But I have learned to use just few packages that all work together:

\documentclass[letterpaper,11pt]{article}
\usepackage[hscale=.7, vscale=.80, centering]{geometry}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{fancybox}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage[]{parskip}

%fancy headerstuff
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\pagestyle{fancy}
\lhead{}
\chead{}
\rhead{}
\lfoot{\small Doc Name \\Goes }
\cfoot{\small \ \\ \thepage}
\rfoot{\small Alt-N Technologies\\ http://www.altn.com/}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}
\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}
%end fancystuff

\usepackage[pdftex, bookmarks=false, pdfpagemode=UseThumbs,
colorlinks=true, linkcolor=links, anchorcolor=links, citecolor=links,
filecolor=links, menucolor=links, pagecolor=links, urlcolor=links]
{hyperref}

Something I have tried memoir. The docs are awesome.

What I really like and am starting to use is ConTeXt. It has way more
than you need, but the basic core stuff is very flexible, very
structured and mostly consistent. It's pretty easy to use fonts, but
i am still very beginner with fonts. The main user manual has a list
of 10 basic things to know. It's someplace in the first 20 pages.
It's really more like 30 basic things, because each thing has two or
four others things,  but the list short, easy to learn and gives you
most of the basic tools.