[OS X TeX] Timing problem resolved

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 15 04:21:03 EST 2006

Le 15 mars 06 à 09:40, Morten Høgholm a écrit :

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:26:02 +0100, Joanna Rycko
> <rycko at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> If you use the package "ifthen", you can write it as follows:
>>
>> \ifpdf
>>     \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.jpg,.pdf}
>> \else
>>     \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps}
>> \fi
>
> That would be the ifpdf package in this case. However I see no
> reason to specify these graphics extensions manually since these
> are the defaults. The only change here compared to the default
> settings is that the jpg version will be tried first when run under
> pdfLaTeX.

Yes, in this specific case that was intentional: some graphics to be
included were awfully big EPS files ~50MB each (resulting from
Mathematica Plot3D fields calculated on a 601 x 601 grid), yielding
PDF files ~10MB each and causing havoc on my system when included in
a pdfLaTeX document (several minutes AFAIR to display a single page,
other applications slowed down considerably, etc.) as well as
generating an unrealistically big PDF paper ~80MB in size. For this
reason I created JPG versions of the graphics, to be used for all
except the very final versions of the PDF paper, and for producing a
downloadable version.

The above ordering of the extensions ensured the JPG versions would
be used when available.