[OS X TeX] Re: Current Word on PSTricks?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Mar 16 11:11:57 EST 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 9:43 AM, George Dorner wrote:

>>> Yesterday a colleague gave an excellent seminar to our math
>>> department called "Importing and Creating Images and Figures in
>>> LaTeX."  It was PC oriented and used miktex and PCTricks in a very
>>> nice Beamer slide show with lots of neat tricks and no emphasis on
>>> math typography.
>>>
>>> The two of us who use TeXShop here would like an update (beyond the
>>> sketchy results of our Google search and the archive check which
>>> brought no recent references) about these two matters:
>>>
>>> a) whether the other packages often cited here for the topic of the
>>> talk are equivalent or better than PSTricks
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> b) exactly what steps does one take to use PSTricks with TexShop.
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> George Dorner
>>> Harper College

Howdy,

PCTricks? You can use the pstricks package with a LaTeX document
directly if you process the file using the `Typeset->TeX and
Ghostscript' option. Alternatively you can put the line

%!TEX TS-program = latex

at the beginning of the file; that will tell TeXShop to use the TeX
and Ghostscript option in processing that file.

If you want to use pdflatex to process the file you'll have to use
the pdftricks package which wraps the pstricks items and processes
them separately.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)