[OS X TeX] TeXshop feature request Enter most recently used default in dialog

mark oilcan markoilcan at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 13:07:27 EST 2006

--- William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:

> Or is there some other editor which does this?
>
> I want to have the most recently used button (as indicated by a
> highlight?) activated by the ``Enter'' key on the numeric keypad ---
> I've got to do a lot of search-replacing and it'd be really nice if
> it were:
>
>   - select
>   - copy
>   - command f
>   - paste
>   - enter (instead of, ``move mouse to Replace All and click'')
>
> repeat

I'll  apologize now in case I'm misunderstanding what you want to do (I don't
use Texshop so I don't really know what the above sequence of
commands/keystrokes does), but is your objective to simply globally replace
one word with another with minimal effort? If so you could always do the
following in Terminal,

perl -i.bak -pe 's/old/new/g' file.tex

This will append .bak to your original file.tex and the new file.tex will
have 'new' everywhere that 'old' was (including changing gold to gnew). Since
you ask about other editors, I'll give you the emacs way. Within emacs type

M-% old <RET> new

where 'M-' is either the command key or option key depending on which emacs
you use (OS X's built in emacs and Aquamacs use the option key by default).
Then each subsequent occurrence gets highlighted and you can press 'y' to
replace, 'n' to skip or '!' to replace all the rest to the end of the file.

Mark A