[OS X TeX] Text in illustrations - unembedded

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Mar 23 01:25:23 EST 2006

Le 23 mars 06 à 03:11, Lee Tryhorn a écrit :

> It appears that the problem lies in the text in some of the figures
> that I am inserting into the document, when I comment out the
> figures that have text in them I can view the pdf in Windows with
> no problems.  Has this happened to anyone before?
>
> It has been suggested to me that that because the text in the
> figures used on the standard fonts available the software didn't
> embed these fonts.  Then when the figures were added to the TeX
> stuff, ghostscript didn't embed those fonts either.
>
> The figures were created in IDL.

Well, disregard my previous message, I was reading and answering mail
sequentially. You seem to be producing figures in EPS format with
IDL, then compiling the document which includes them in TeXShop in
TeX and GhostScript mode.

The problem seems to lie in GhostScript not embedding the fonts from
the figures. GhostScript experts here would probably tell you how to
add the fonts and edit mapping files somewhere inside /usr/local/
share/ghostscript/fonts/, such that GhostScript can see and use the
fonts, but I'm not one such expert.

What I would recommend: take the EPS figures produced by IDL, and
convert them to PDF format by using Apple's Distiller /usr/bin/
pstopdf. This can be done by either:

- Opening the EPS figures one by one in Preview, then saving them to
PDF format.

- Assuming you have a folder of such figures, navigate to this folder
in Terminal then run:

	apply pstopdf *.eps

This will convert all the EPS figures (assumed to have a .eps
extension) to PDF format in one go.

And then, in TeXShop select Apple Distiller in Prefs > Misc >
Distiller and compile your document in TeXShop in pdfTeX mode. Given
your document looks fine on your Mac, the fonts used by your IDL
figures seem to be available on the Mac, hence using Apple Distiller
should (I imagine) embed them properly when converting them to PDF.

Hope this works,