[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sat Mar 25 10:04:30 EST 2006

At 10:33 PM -0500 3/24/06, david craig wrote:

>Still, there is clearly a difference between "white" and
>"transparent". For example, equations dragged from LaTeXIt have a
>transparent or nonexistent or whatever background, while in all
>previous methods I have used the pdf's generated have a white
>background.  (Hell, taking one of LaTeXIt's eqn pdfs and opening it
>in GraphicConverter and re-saving turns the transparent background
>to white.)
>
>Is there any tool for going the other way?  Or any way in pdftex to
>tell it to produce a transparent background?

On a related note, how come the transparent background doesn't get
preserved when importing LaTeXit's PDFs to Powerpoint?  Is there a
way to keep it transparent, or is this a property/feature/bug of
Powerpoint?

(And please don't let's turn this into a debate about why I should
use Beamer or Keynote...; my Powerpoint presentations require fast
integration of Excel charts etc. from multiple authors using both PCs
and Macs, none of whom use LaTeX.)

Alan

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu