[OS X TeX] gtamacfonts ligatures: PDF searchability

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Mar 28 07:35:29 EST 2006

> On Mar 27, 2006, at 8:35 PM, Robert Spence wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to get PDF cut-and-paste plus searchability for the
>> ligatures in the gtamacfonts?
>
> Using XeTeX instead would be the best option.
>
> At a guess the gtamacfonts package converts the fonts in some way,
> munging the encoding which causes the difficulty you see

The gtamacfonts are not converted. Only the font suitcases are unpacked
and separate .ttf files are produced. Then pdfTeX just uses TTF fonts.

I am not an expert, but if pdfTeX can do this with any other TTF font for
which it has an encoding vector it should be able to do this with the
unpacked Hoefler as well. If it does not, I think it is worthwhile to find
out why it does not and if this can be fixed.