[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Mar 28 15:43:47 EST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 3:23 PM, david craig wrote:

> Well, what tools are available -- short of Photoshop? -- for making
> parts of a pdf transparent?  I'd like to be able to generate an
> equation, open it up in an editor and turn parts of it transparent,
> make the background transparent -- that sort of thing.  ("\phantom
> {}" is cool, but I have found it isn't quite enough to handle some
> of the things I require of it.)

You want to not make the .pdf into a bitmap --- that's most of your
problem, and place it into applications which understand things other
than bitmaps (which require especial work to be transparent) ---
which is the balance of your problem if memory serves.

There won't be a background to make transparent if you use the right
toolset.

Consider:

$a^2 + b^2 = c^2$

As a typeset .pdf it'll consist of:

italic a
superscript 2
plus sign
italic b
superscript 2
equals sign
italic c
superscript 2

All filled w/ black and that's it. No background rectangle, nor other
vector element. If you wind up w/ a background it's because of a
limitation of the tools you're using. The above could be dragged into
Adobe Acrobat, printed to a .eps file, placed in any layout tool
which'll accept a .eps, and placed over a graphic or other element
and nothing but the black text would blot out things underneath.

Try using mathptmx and pulling the .pdfs into Cenon (available from
http://www.cenon.info) for a tool which'll allow to do the sort of
thing you're describing.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.