[OS X TeX] avoid space when pasting in TeXShop

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Mar 31 17:54:03 EST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 14:00, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 31 mars 06 à 19:13, Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :
>
>> Looks like it can be disabled with setSmartInsertDeleteEnabled:NO
>> (but then you have an inconsistent user experience).
>
> Do you mean this can be altered for all text-editing applications
> using "defaults write setSmartInsertDeleteEnabled NO" somewhere at
> the OS level?

Not as far as I know.  It could be overriden in code, or by using an
InputManager hack.  The former would have to be done for each
application, and the latter is unsupported by Apple (and likely to go
away soon).

> I'd love to turn that "smart" feature off: it's really an
> annoyance, when you know exactly what you want and what you're
> doing, to always have to move backwards to remove spaces that may
> have been inserted without your explicit asking. An extreme case is
> Word insistence on making everything "smart" (so that it's very
> difficult, for instance, to insert bullets without Word turning the
> following text into a list item, or to insert a URL without Word
> turning it into a hyperlink), but it's sad to see Apple succumbing
> to this hyp but annoying tendency.

I think Word's smart selection behavior is a bit better in this case
(although I always disable it).  The problem with either of them is
that the visible selection that you cut/copy doesn't translate to
what you see when you paste; in some cases spacing is automatically
adjusted, but in others it's not.