[OS X TeX] LaTeX Updater i-Package updated

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon May 1 08:32:17 EDT 2006

>>> I have used the i-Installer to update to the beta release. Can I just
>>> update the LaTeX updater again to get the official release, or do I
>>> have to uninstall anything first? I'm asking because I'm a little
>>> confused by all the texmf.local etc. directories.
>>
>> Just install again. It will overwrite.
>
> OK, works fine. I am still a little confused, however. I thought the
> beta version had been installed in the texmf.local folder to make it
> possible to return to the last official release in the texmf.tetex
> folder. Apparently the official 2005/12/01 release has also been
> installed in texfm.local instead of texmf.tetex, so that I still have,
> for example, two different versions of xspace. Why is this so?

Becuase I make it a rule to have i-Packages you can uninstall safely. If I
would install in texmf.tetex this would not be the case. Uninstalling the
LaTeX Updater could then only be achieved as a side-effect of installing
the TeX i-Package. It also opens the option of having the LaTeX-updater
contain multiple versions (e.g. a beta and a stable) because then it
becomes even more improtant to be able to uninstall.

If I wanted to have a LaTeX update in texmf.tetex, I would update the TeX
i-Package itself, not provide a "overwrite" i-Package.

The ConTeXt updater works likewise.

There is no guarantee that all the i-Packages are non-destructive with
respect to other i-Packages, but as a rule they should be.