[OS X TeX] LaTeX Updater i-Package updated

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon May 1 15:05:39 EDT 2006

On 1 May 2006, at 17:22, Josep M. Font wrote:

> Oh, yes, of course. And this is indeed an important and useful
> feature of Gerben's setup... but how many of its "normal" users do
> know this ? That's why I didn't suggest to change this behaviour, I
> just suggested to explain it better... What seems to me that should
> be avoided is that one i-package appears to be a "subset" of
> another one (as a LaTeX installation is a "subset" of a TeX
> installation), while in the inner workings it is slightly more
> complicated. If a user sees "LaTeX updater", she should understand
> clearly what it will do... And when updating the TeX installation a
> reminder of first uninstalling the LaTeX updater should also
> appear. Insiders are of course aware that any additions they have
> made to texmf.local will remain, but what about non-insiders ?

Since Gerben is fully aware that this package is out there, I think
handling a new LaTeX in texmf.local will be the same as a newer
Context in texmf.local. This is a special case in the configure stage
of the main TeX i-package. You will get a question as to which
Context should be used: your new version, or the older that comes
with the teTeX-tree.

At this point, the additional code can only be a fraction of what is
already in the install script (± 2000 lines, IIRC). Especially if
quite a bit of the code is already there.