[OS X TeX] Variable

Christopher Allen Christopher.T.Allen.95 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Fri May 5 12:09:32 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 6:58 AM, Peter Pagin wrote:

> For something similar to spreadsheat capacity, the best I know is
> the fp package. More flexible than calc.

I looked at fp. It looks very nice; though, as the author suggests,
the documentation could be updated. I can see getting a lot of
utility out of it. Thanks.

I'm not sure the calculation ability from either calc or fp will
actually be needed to implement what is desired. (Again, I'm not sure
I know what is desired.) It may just be that \arabic and \value need
to be used after declaring a counter. However, my general feeling
when choosing between floating point variables and integer variables
for use in strings is always to stick with integer variables unless
the other is absolutely necessary. That way you avoid having to
repeatedly round results just in case you ordered your math in such a
way that the floating point number carries a stray rounding error.

Chris