[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] Microtypography?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 9 04:47:11 EDT 2006

Le 9 mai 06 à 10:02, Joanna Rycko a écrit :

> (It's enough to write: texdoc microtype. And btw I'm using texlive.)

Thanks for the tip. I had always stayed away from texdoc, as I
thought it was tied to X11 applications (xdvi, xpdf, etc.), which I
prefer to avoid whenever possible.

However, trying texdoc right now I'm realizing it opens PDF files in
Preview and DVI files in TeXShop. That is, this is how things work on
my setup: the man page for texdoc mentions environment variables
$TEXDOCVIEW_dvi, $TEXDOCVIEW_pdf, $TEXDOCVIEW_ps, $TEXDOCVIEW_html
and $TEXDOCVIEW_txt, but I can't find them in the various texmf.cnf
on my setup. Maybe these variables are overriden by the Mac OS X
association of file extensions (.dvi, .pdf and so forth) and
applications (TeXShop, TeXniscope, Preview and so forth)?

That said, it would be even nicer if one could use texdoc without
having to go CLI, for example if TeXShop would add an item "View TeX
Documentation..." to its Help menu: the item could present a dialog
for typing in the name of the stuff (binary, package, etc.) whose
documentation is looked for, and then texdoc would be launched in the
background for that name. Or is this functionality available
somewhere already, and have I missed it?

Given the switch in topic, I'm cc'ing this message to the OS X TeX list.