[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] texdoc, was: Microtypography?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed May 10 07:57:30 EDT 2006

Am 10.05.2006 um 13:16 schrieb Victor Ivrii:

> kpsewhich is well documented. Still, it is not clear how txt or html
> files are found and which of all these files is displayed if few are
> found; I believe that {dvi, ps, pdf} have precedence over {txt,html}
> and probably dvi takes precedence over everything else. Not clear if
> tex files are covered at all.

Around line no. 157 texdoc starts to search for doc files:

   for ext in "" $extlist; do

     filename=`kpsewhich -format='TeX system documentation' $name$ext
2>/dev/null`

So kpsewhich searches for the given name augmented by an extension as
taken from the list in variable extlist. Each of these extensions is
tried in exactly that sequence in which the variable is built. Once a
file is found the search ends and the found doc file is displayed.
The order of file extensions should be adapted to one's preferences
in a personal copy of texdoc in ~/bin which will be found first
because PATH usually starts with ~/bin or $HOME/bin ...

TeX files (*.tex) are not found because not searched for. Dito doc
files without an extension (ReadMe).

--
Greetings

   Pete

War springs from unseen and generally insignificant causes.
-Anonymous