[OS X TeX] Freeze

Christian Heine christian at geosci.usyd.edu.au
Sat May 13 21:15:38 EDT 2006

List,
> On May 13, 2006, at 17:12, Joseph C. Slater wrote:
>> On May 13, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>> On 12 May 2006, at 20:42, Richard Koch wrote:
[snip]

We had someone from our School experiencing the same problems,
without i-installer on a Powerbook G4. Here's what he did to get his
machine back working:

"The source of the problems is apparently a conflict between startup
items for Virex viruschecking and Adobe CS2 Cue.  If you have either
or both of those installed then you can expect trouble after
rebooting.  If you haven't installed the update but have the above
items you can probably avoid the issue by removing the items from the
startup folder.  The following are the steps I had to take to fix my
Mac that would not start up (stuck at spinning gear - I have Adobe
CS2 installed).

1. Book from the install CD/DVD (hold down C until it boots up), then
run disk utility and repair disk.
(I did this which fixed some errors but said it couldn't fix others.
I then mounted the laptop as a firewire
drive off my desktop (hold down T while turning on) and ran the more
recent Disk utility from the desktop.
This fixed the drive it said.

2. boot into safe mode by holding down the shift key
(be patient - this took 7-8 minutes on my G4; as long as you
can hear the disk is making noises then you are in business)

3. go to system system preferences/ accounts/ login items

4. clear all items

5. open finder from dock / machintoshHD/ library/ startupitems
move all items to trash and empty

6. then restart

This resurrected my G4 powerbook in no time."

HTH,
Christian