[OS X TeX] Using OTF-fonts for TeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon May 15 17:49:42 EDT 2006

Am 14.05.2006 um 21:49 schrieb Moritz Bosse Biskup:

> installing the libraries via i-installer did not really work; in
> the "Configure Only"-tab for the TeX-ii2 package I only found
> options to change Paper Format, Languages, and stuff like that.
> Perhaps I looked at the wrong "Configure Only"-tab. And the current
> ii2-package "Eddie Kohlers LCDF Typetools" is currently version
> 2.34 whereas the otftex_install.py script needs otfinfo 2.38 to
> work properly.

If this way fails, a simple work-around would be to Install&Configure
completely in Expert Mode ... might take half an hour longer.

> Using the LCDF-tools I built, I managed to run otftex_install.py;
> but somehow the script did not really do what I expected.  The
> otftex_install script read the otf-files and did convert them; but
> the files were not placed where I would have expected them
> according to the scripts description. Perhaps because it is missing
> the kpathsea-library? Or do I need to run otftex_install with root
> privileges to work properly?

Yes, 'sudo -H <tool and parameters>' would be needed to access the /
usr/local/teTeX tree. Afterwards a 'sudo texhash' is needed to teach
TeX the new files.

> The following files all ended up in my working directory.
>
> 1. I expected 4 pfb-files for Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic,
> but I got 8. Each file appears twice (xxx.pfb (around 120 KB big)
> and XXXLCDFJ.pfb (around 8KB)). Why are there two sets of files ?

The LCDFJ files probably have the "artificial" dotlessj glyph. You
can look into the fonts with fontforge or t1testpage ...

> 3. I expected 17 tfm files; instead I get 51. Three for each vf :
> xxx.tfm / xxx--base.tfm / xxx--lcdfj.tfm. What are the extra 2
> files for each xxx.tfm for ?

Again, you "look" into these TFM files with 'tex testfont.' In my own
attempts with fontinst I (could) create a few more TFM files: 7t, 8t,
8c, 8a, 8r, 8x, 8y, and my "8p" font encoding.

> This results in pretty clean Latex - runs. But as I am still
> missing the MAP-files, which ?unfortunately were not generated by
> otftex_install?, I get empty pages of output. Probably again,
> because I built it without kpathsea or am missing some write
> priviliges.

You probably know what's the contents of a MAP file. To add a MAP
file you'll need to invoke 'sudo -H updmap --enable-map=<name>,' to
"install" the MAP files in the teTeX tree you would need to invoke
texhash' and a final 'sudo -H updmap --enable-map=<name>.'

> Does anybody have a suggestion regarding kpathsea:
> Where can I obtain that single library (lib + headers) (CTAN only
> bundles it in web2c)?

Re-install everything needed in Expert Mode. Early you'll have in i-
Installer the choice to select "bundles." In Expert Mode you have
quite a few chances to optimise your installation, selecting/
deselecting babel languages, MAP files, formats ...

> I guess this would be easiest; to get otftex_install to properly
> sort the files it generates and hopefully generate some MAP-files.

Right. I have in csh:

set myTFMdir = `kpsepath tfm | tr ':' '\012' | egrep -v '^(\.|\!|/
var)' | sed -e 's://:/:'`
set TFMdir   = ${myTFMdir}${Fam}/${Font}
set AFMdir   = `echo $TFMdir   | sed -e s:tfm:afm:`
set VFdir    = `echo $TFMdir   | sed -e s:tfm:vf:`
set T1dir    = `echo $TFMdir   | sed -e s:tfm:type1:`
set ENCdir   = `echo $myTFMdir | sed -e s:tfm:enc/fontinst/${Fam}:`
set MAPdir   = `echo $myTFMdir | sed -e s:tfm:map/fontinst/updmap:`
set STYdir   = `echo $myTFMdir | sed -e s:fonts/tfm:tex/latex/${Fam}:`

{ENC|MAP|STY}dir are user local because the files are needed for test
files and proof sheets. Maybe they work without installing them by
creating environment variables in the shell script ...

> Or as a manual solution:
> Can somebody give me a hint, what the MAP-file should look like and
> where to put it?

ptmr8r  Times-Roman      <8r.enc              "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmri8r Times-Italic     <8r.enc              "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmro8r Times-Roman      <8r.enc              ".167 SlantFont
TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
ptmb8r  Times-Bold       <8r.enc              "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmbi8r Times-BoldItalic <8r.enc              "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmbo8r Times-Bold       <8r.enc              ".167 SlantFont
TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"

or to "download" the PS fonts, needed to apply microtypographic font
expansion or compression:

ptmr8r  Times-Roman      <8r.enc <ptmr8a.pfb  "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmri8r Times-Italic     <8r.enc <ptmri8a.pfb "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmro8r Times-Roman      <8r.enc <ptmr8a.pfb  ".167 SlantFont
TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
ptmb8r  Times-Bold       <8r.enc <ptmb8a.pfb  "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmbi8r Times-BoldItalic <8r.enc <ptmbi8a.pfb "TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont"
ptmbo8r Times-Bold       <8r.enc <ptmb8a.pfb  ".167 SlantFont
TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"

(In case of TrueType fonts the entries look a bit different due to MS
"traditional" font encodings.)

> Here I would guess at something like: /usr/local/teTex/share/
> texmf.local/dvips/config/
> with additional entries into the coniguration files for dvips/xdvi
> and pdftex.

No. Updmap generates "subversions" for all three flavours. Put your
own MAP files into /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/
otftex or /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/otftex/updmap
-- so as to understand at once what the source of the MAP file
fragments is (these MAP files for single fonts or even whole font
families are *fragments* only because the system's real MAP files
are /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
psfonts.map, /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/
updmap/pdftex.map, /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/
dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map, which are composed of many such fragments).

These are good sources for understanding or learning, too:

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq

texdoc fontinst
texdoc fontinstallationguide

--