[OS X TeX] Re: html output from bib file (BibDesk)

James Owen jhgowen at mac.com
Mon May 15 20:46:47 EDT 2006

Dear Graham,

I use several different html export templates, according to what I
want to do. For example, I have one style which just outputs the
reference, while another will show the abstract when you hover over
the reference.

The output, along with the css can be seen here:  http://
homepage.mac.com/jhgowen/research/publications.html

I assume you know that you can change these by editing the
htmlexporttemplate, and htmlitemexporttemplate files in
~/Library/Application\ Support/BibDesk/ .

Actually, I have several now, and it is a pain to change from one to
the other. It would be nice to incorporate the export functions into
a pref. pane for BibDesk, so that you can change your export template
within the program, just like with the Preview pane.

The htmlexporttemplate file defines the basic webpage, and here adds
a ref to my css file, where the formatting is done.

<head>

<title><$fileName.lastPathComponent/></title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="../
base.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="../
print.css" />

</head>

<ol>
<$publicationsAsHTML/>
</ol>

The htmlitemexporttemplate file is essentially a bunch of spans with
appropriate names, which I hope is more search-engine friendly.
The citekey is used as an id, so I can refer to papers elsewhere in
my website, and have a link directly to the right item
in the list.
The <ul> containing the Abstract field, allows me to use a css hover
property, so that when I hover over the reference,
the abstract appears. I am not currently using this on my webpage,
however.

<li class="Pub" id="<$citeKey/>">
$pubAuthors.abbreviatedName. at componentsJoinedByCommaAndAnd/></
span><br />
	(<span class="Date"><$pubFields.Year/></span>)
$pubFields.Doi/></a></span>
	<ul>
	<li class="Abstract">Abstract:<$pubFields.Abstract/></li>
	</ul>
</li>

What is nice is that all of this imports with styling into Pages, if
you use a print.css style file, from which you can make a nice
pdf version of your publications.

Hope this helps,

James