Going beyond TeX (was Re: [OS X TeX] Using OTF-fonts for TeX)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue May 16 15:13:58 EDT 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 2:55 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I read Ogawa's piece, /TeX's Interface Challenges/, in PracTeX 2005
> Vol 2 when it came out but it didn't mean much to this beginner. I
> just reread it and it seems to make some points relevant to this
> exchange but I am still in no position to assess their validity. I
> would be curious to read what people on this list think of it.

Hmph. He didn't incorporate any of the suggestions / comments I made
AFAICT.

Interestingly a couple of things in it have already happened:

  - Latin Modern available as OpenType
  - LyX is able to author SGML, not just LaTeX

and some things were just inaccurate:

  - pdftex has always been able to directly access TrueType fonts
(you just need to re-encode them 8-bits worth at a time if you want
more than 256 characters at a time)
  - GNUstep can target Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, as can Runtime
Revolution, TCL/TK &c.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.