[OS X TeX] Can't write on file xxx.aux

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Fri May 19 22:52:00 EDT 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I have a problem which I don't understand.
>
> I am normally working with TeXShop 1.43 on a Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4
> under 10.3.9 and, in order to work on the book while away for a few
> days, not knowing which file was calling which file, I copy
> everythingÑincluding the style sheetsÑonto my 400 MHz PowerPC G3
> also running under 10.3.9
>
> Last time I used this approach, a few moths ago, it worked perfectly.
>
> Yet, this time, when I try to typeset a file xxx, I get "I can't
> write on file xxx.aux", no matter what xxx.

It seems to me this is rather a permissions issue than a TeX problem.
Where did you copy your TeX documents? Before trying a TeX reinstall,
I would copy all the documents in a folder inside your Home, then, in
Finder, select the folder and use File --> Get Info (ð-I). In the
Info window, click in the Ownership & Permissions triangle, then in
Details; make sure Owner is you and Access is Read & Write; finally,
click in the button Apply to enclosed items...

Best,