[OS X TeX] Re: finding commands (was: Turning eps to pdf problems)

Jan Anderssen jan at linguist.umass.edu
Mon May 22 12:36:26 EDT 2006

david -

> which is some help, but wildly incomplete.  What I would like seems to
> make me a fossil.  I would like a list of commands, grouped by
> function
> and also alphabetically, and a reasonably complete description of
> their
> syntax, function and dependencies, as we had in the old days on Unix
> systems.

only a small step towards what you have in mind, but occasionally
"apropos" is of help. from its manpage:

    apropos  searches a set of database files containing short
descriptions
    of system commands for keywords and displays the result on the
standard
    output.

"apropos image | less" for instance gives you a whole bunch of not so
useful stuff, but also short descriptions for convert, mogrify, or
pdfimages

cheers,
jan