[OS X TeX] [Slightly OT] LaTeX equations/fonts in Keynote -> PowerPoint

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon May 22 13:55:58 EDT 2006

On May 22, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> Apologize in advance for this slightly off topic message.
>
> I am preparing the slides for some major conference using Keynote. In
> the slides, I extensively use LaTeXiT to generate all the equations,
> and symbols/characters for figures ... etc. Along with that, I also
> employed some unique features of Keynote to make some simple
> animations.
>
> However, I learned just now that the conference requires each speaker
> to upload their slides to the pre-installed computer with only
> PowerPoint installed.
>
> Would PowerPoint be able to read most of the Keynote slides? Also,
> how's the compatibility? I am sure the simple slide function is OK,
> but I am more concerned about the equations and fonts.

You can export the Keynote presentation in PowerPoint format, but in
my experience this doesn't go well. Even if you look at it on Windows
machine locally and things are converted ok, when you go to the
conference, that Windows machine may not be as forgiving.

> I would appreciate if someone could provide his/her own experiences
> and things to pay attention to.
>
> The conference is CLEO, if that helps.

When I am stuck in this situation, I ask if I can present a PDF file
(and I have always been able to) and then I export the Keynote
presentation in PDF format and present that. I lose some of the
coolness of Keynote, but I know what I am getting.

-- Gary