[OS X TeX] Re: [Ii2-announce] (no subject)

Gary L.Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri May 26 23:41:54 EDT 2006

On May 26, 2006, at 2:42 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> As I have announced (and those that receive this message in bcc
> already know), i-Installer 2.77 (which is ppc-only) triggers the
> freeze bug in 10.4.6, especially when some updates to the OS have
> been applied. As the intel version (2.76 is universal) also has
> problems on intel 10.4.4 and up, I am effectively without a
> decently working i-Installer for intel mac. This has been the worst
> fix I have been in in 5 years.
>
> It is up to Apple to provide us with an update (10.4.7) that
> stabilizes the OS again. The outlook is good, but I do not know how
> much time it will take them.
>
> I have now released a beta which will certainly improve matters and
> which could likely improves them to the point the only problems
> left are harmless (some lost error output of subprocesses). The app
> is again universal.
>
> I would like to release this with 48 hours and I could do with some
> testing, especially on 10.4.6 intel systems. Here is what I would
> like you to test:
> 	1. Remove "/Library/Fonts/Latin Modern" if available

I didn't have that, so I didn't need to remove it (I have it now
after the install).

> 	2. Install Fontforge

When I ran the second beta, I got a warning that said:

Please upgrade Mac OS X
Running i-Installer in Mac OS X 10.4.4 until 10.4.6 is
not recommended. There have been ...
[stuff omitted]

I assume that is to be expected.

I already had it, but I installed it again anyway.

> 	3. Install TeX (full, 2005)

I did an Expert install of 2005. Surprisingly, it needed to download
a bunch of stuff that I thought I already had. Let me begin by saying
that the universal binary version sure is fast! I told it to create
the GUI Latin Modern fonts and it worked without a problem. With all
this said, the entire install process worked perfectly. This is on a
MacBook Pro running 10.4.6 with all updates applied.

> I welcome reports.

Thanks for the update. I hope this helps.

-- Gary