[OS X TeX] TeX based on TeX Live release

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Thu Nov 2 00:57:00 EST 2006

On 02.11.2006, at 00:29, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> The TeX (based on TeX Live) i-Package has been released to all the
> repositories and so have all the support i-Packages: MusixTeX, CM-
> Super, CB-Greek and the ConTeXt Updater.
>
> (The LaTeX Updater will be removed later. For a recent LaTeX, the
> TeX Live i-Package is the best choice.)
>
> The old and new TeX i-Package can both be installed on a system.
> They do not interfere.
>
> There are two special points of attention when migrating from old
> to new or when keeping them both available for the time being:
> - Your personal files in ~/Library/texmf are available for both.
> Especially configuration files like updmap.cfg (font maps) and
> language.dat (hyphenation patterns) are not compatible with both
> systems, mainly because file names differ between the two
> distributions
> - If you use TeX from the command line, you get either old or new,
> depending on what is in the system-wide shell startup settings. The
> values there are set by the configuration phase of either i-Package
> and the last configuration run defines what is being set there.
>
> One other important note: XeTeX is currently only supported on intel.
>
> Default install locations are /usr/local/teTeX (old) and /usr/local/
> TeXLive (new)
>
> The TeX Support i-Packages (except for the LaTeX Updater) can
> handle both distributions.

Thanks for your effort and two questions:

- Is there any reason why I should keep the old TeX installation?
Should I keep it ATM in case things go wrong?
- If not, what's the best way to get rid of the old installation?

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick