[OS X TeX] TeX based on TeX Live release

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Nov 3 02:38:30 EST 2006

> Thanks, I'm currently trying to install the new TeX and I see
> problems: I-installer complains that it can't find kpsewhich and quits
> the installation. This is with version 2.85

The subprocess output shows at the end:

> csh: /usr/share/init/tcsh/rc: No such file or directory.
> ### texlive.configure: I cannot locate the kpsewhich program. If this
> cannot be found, configuration is impossible. I will bail out...

So, it seems when you try to run kpsewhich from the configure script,
it runs tcsh (your default shell maybe?) but startup initialisation of
tcsh fails.

Possible here is that your tcsh setup is broken system-wide, but that
you have repaired this in your own home directory with a .login or
.cshrc file. This personal repair will not be available to the TeX
i-Package as it runs as user root.