[OS X TeX] texdoc, manuals and TeX distributions

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Nov 4 14:08:08 EST 2006

Le 4 nov. 06 à 19:51, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 4 nov. 06 à 19:36, Alex Hamann a écrit :
>
>> Where is the best location (so that texdoc can find them) for pdf-
>> manuals of packages or fonts which I added to my teTeX tree? Can I
>> just put them in a "manuals" folder in ~library/texmf/tex/latex?
>> Secondly, will that change once I switch over to the new TexLive-
>> based distribution?
>
> If texdoc works, as other TeX-related tools, by using the kpathsea
> library for finding documentation, then the place where to put your
> manuals is revealed by kpsewhich (to be typed in Terminal):
>
> kpsewhich --show-path="TeX system documentation"

Actually I neglected to provide a more practical answer to your
question.

On a teTeX-based setup, you should put the doc in either:

~/Library/texmf/doc/ (visible only from your account)

or:

/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/ (visible from all accounts on
your Mac, and not touched when the TeX i-Package is updated)

/Library/teTeX/ is a visible symlink to the otherwise invisible
directory /usr/local/teTeX/. The other directories than texmf.local
(texmf.gwtex, texmf.tetex) are erased when the TeX i-Package is updated.

Simlarly on a TeXLive-based setup you should use:

~/Library/texmf/doc/ (visible only from your account)

and:

/Library/TeXLive/texmf.local/doc/ (visible from all accounts on your
Mac, and not touched when the TeX i-Package is updated)

Within these directories, all subdirectories would do. You can for
example mimick the organization of texmf.tetex and texmf.texlive,
respectively. Meaning for package and font docs, respectively, for
user-specific access:

~/Library/texmf/doc/latex/
~/Library/texmf/doc/fonts/

and for system-wide access on a teTeX-based setup:

/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/latex/
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/fonts/

and on a TeXLive-based setup:

/Library/TeXLive/texmf.local/doc/latex/
/Library/TeXLive/texmf.local/doc/fonts/