dvi output in TeXShop (was:Re: [OS X TeX] texdoc, manuals and TeX distributions)

Alex Hamann Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sat Nov 4 14:15:32 EST 2006

that helped a lot. Thank you for that. Allow me one follow-up:
I wanted to get a dvi file instead of the usual pdf output. I thought
that switching in TexShop from PdfTex to Tex & Ghostscript (and maybe
additionally  checking the "save as ps" box in the preferences) would
get me there. It did not and also invoking LaTex (actually XeLaTex in
this case) from command line did not help. Am I missing the obvious?

Alex

Am 04.11.2006 um 19:51 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Le 4 nov. 06 à 19:36, Alex Hamann a écrit :
>
>> Where is the best location (so that texdoc can find them) for pdf-
>> manuals of packages or fonts which I added to my teTeX tree? Can I
>> just put them in a "manuals" folder in ~library/texmf/tex/latex?
>> Secondly, will that change once I switch over to the new TexLive-
>> based distribution?
>
> If texdoc works, as other TeX-related tools, by using the kpathsea
> library for finding documentation, then the place where to put your
> manuals is revealed by kpsewhich (to be typed in Terminal):
>
> kpsewhich --show-path="TeX system documentation"
>
> With the TeXLive-based distro, the output is (reformatted):
>
> .
> ~/Library/texmf/doc//
> !!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/doc//
> !!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.pkgs/doc//
> !!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.gwtex/doc//
> !!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/doc//
> !!/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/doc//
>
> This indicates, in order of precedence, the directories searched by
> texdoc. Once a file of the name provided as argument to texdoc is
> found, the search stops and the file is displayed.
>
> The syntax and functionalities of kpsewhich is exposed in
> kpathsea.pdf, whose exact location depends on setup:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/kpathsea.pdf
> /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/doc/kpathsea/kpathsea.pdf
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bruno Voisin

please avoid sending me word attachements; see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for details
and background