[OS X TeX] include cannot be nested?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 22:43:06 EST 2006

Ross Moore wrote:

> What you want is to *use* these commands within a particular context,
> along with doing other things. Thus you want to *define* a new command
> and then *use this* within your document source.
>
> e.g.  something like this:
>
> \newcommand{\exinput}[3][]{%  includes an exercise
>  % #1 = optional indicator for hard exercises
>  % #2 = title
>  % #3 = file name where the exercise is stored
>  \begin{exercise}[#1]{#2}%
>   \input{#3}%
>  \end{exercise}%
> }
>
> where the {exercise} environment is something that has been
> setup elsewhere for this document.
>

> Then the document source should contain instances, such as:
>
>  \exinput{easy one}{exercises/ex1_1}
>  \exinput{another easy one}{exercises/ex1_2}
>  \exinput[*]{now a hard one}{exercises/ex1_3}
>  \exinput[!]{now a really hard one}{exercises/ex1_4}

I did get it to work for my own (different) purpose—which was by no
means to be taken for granted—but, beyond the unimportant fact that I
don't understand the syntax of exinput so that I have not even tried to
get rid of the empty parentheses, I still need help.  :-[

Here is what I did:

The preamble sets up the {exercise} environment and the definition of
\exinput.

I am using three folders side by side:

    The folder PRINTchapter contains the file PrintChapter1 with
    preamble and, in the document, \include{../EDITchap/1}
    The folder EDITchapter contains the file EditChapter1 without
    preamble and with the text of the chapter and the command
    \exinput{}{../Exercises/1}
    The folder Exercises which contains the file 1 which has two exercises

1) Things work well. (The only glitch is that in the output there are
three exercises with Exercise 1 empty and Exercises 2 and 3 being the
two exercises in the file Exercises/1. It must have to do with the
counters and I should be able to fix this.)

2) Here, though, is where I need help as I have not been able to get
something like

    \newboolean{VersionWithExercises}
    \ifthenelse{\boolean{VersionWithExercises}}{\exinput{#1}}{\url{#1}}

in the preamble so as to be able to switch from the VersionWithExercise
to the VersionWithURL by commenting

    \setboolean{VersionWithExercises}{true}

in and out of PrintChapter1.

Very grateful (and hopeful) regards
--schremmer

P.S. Back on 4/24/06 7:44 PM, you wrote

    LaTeX's  \include  is *not* the way to do this.
    Instead I'd recommend the  {comment}  package,
    where you can define your own named environments and specify
    programatically whether they should be included or excluded.

but I was not able to find it.