[OS X TeX] A split happens

Iraj Kalantari I-Kalantari at wiu.edu
Wed Nov 8 17:48:08 EST 2006

Friends,

This is a question from a TeX user 101.

I wish to create a special symbol through a macro, and since I am
ignorant of how to make meta fonts, I use

\newcommand\subsetc{\subset  \!\!\!\!\! \circ\thinspace\thinspace}

(This is to create a symbol for 'is a subset of with special further
properties'.)

This macro works for me well except for when it happens to be about
the end of the line.  In that case, it splits  (I get \subset in one
line and \circ on the next) and I do not have the desired result.

Is this a bug or it is because I am brut-forcing and getting my just
desert.

Thank you.

Iraj.