[OS X TeX] Mac OS X Question

Louis S VanSlyck lsv at pce-co.com
Thu Nov 9 09:12:44 EST 2006

  Bruno,

Thanks{ \times 10^3 }

Your suggestion:
> \input graphicx
> \includegraphics[scale=0.15]{Logo}
works in plainTex just great. I don't know why "scale" is needed
vis-a-vis the traditional "scaled", but I can live with that.

To respond to all those who wonder why I use plainTeX rather than
LaTeX: I haven't used LaTeX since I retired in 1994 when I used it on a
VAX mainframe. For the past twelve years, up through the OS 9
generation---to early this year, I used plainTeX with the Textures
engine. (Bluesky hopes to issue an OS X version of Textures soon, see
www.bluesky.com/news/220a.html). I suppose LaTeX has evolved, but with
plainTeX conveniently doing everything I wanted, there was no reason to
change.

The forced conversion to OS X made me switch to TeXShop, join TUG,
purchase OzTeX, and struggle with Fonts, Color, Graphics, etc., as well
as try to understand the general goal of TeX developers. These were all
non-existent issues with the user friendly Textures. I'm afraid to
think of my next computer upgrade and the likely problems of getting
TeX working again.
In the early 1980's I could translate hexadecimal to assembler and
fortran almost on the fly. However, I know almost nothing of unix, c++,
etc.

btw: The TeXShop editor is great and Bluesky is planning to make it
available for the new release of Textures.

Lou

ps: If your ambidextrous you can do things with either hand. But, if
you are really-really ambidextrous, you can wash one hand while you
clap with the other.

Lou