[OS X TeX] Re: End of i-Installer/i-Packages support per 1/1/2007

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 09:34:41 EST 2006

On 11/11/06, Gary L. Gray <gray at engr.psu.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
> > A custom installation would be nice but not necessary. A
> > comprehensive tex installation which will be  updated in toto once
> > a year or whenever there is new TeXLive seems to me to be the right
> > thing.
> >
> > Claus
> >

> > On Nov 11, 2006, at 19:38, Richard Koch wrote:
> >
> >> We might want to evolve MacTeX slightly so it has a "default"
> >> installation and a
> >> "custom" installation. That would allow a user to install TeX
> >> without automatically
> >> installing ghostscript (and associated libraries) or ImageMagick
> >> (and associated
> >> libraries). On the other hand, making this "fine grained" isn't in
> >> the cards, so
> >> we should also actively search for someone to take over i-Installer.

I would prefer to have separate installer for binaries and libraries.
Sometimes compiling binaries could be challenging, while installing of
packages could be only tedious.

Many thanks to Gerben and Richard for their superb job. With them on
MacOSX we became so spoiled brats!

Recently our Department got a brand new Linux server with preinstalled TeX:
TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.4.5
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 D.E. Knuth.

ROTFL!!!