[OS X TeX] Re: ConTeXt and TeXLive ?

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 15 17:08:56 EST 2006

Steffen,

The latest versions of TeXShop correctly run ConTeXt by calling
"texmfstart texexec file.tex". The trouble is that kpsewhich doesn't
find the ruby script texmfstart.rb, so TeXShop calls a script which
hardcodes the location of texmfstart.rb
and thus fails for the TeXLive form of Gerben's material.

I'm ashamed that /usr/local/tetex is hard coded into the script. But it
wouldn't have helped if I'd used the TeXShop "tex binary preference"
because the location of the ruby script is in a different texmf tree in
TeXLive.

The (temporary) solution is to write your own engine. Something like
the following:

#!/bin/tcsh

ruby   /usr/local/texlive/texmf.pkgs/scripts/context/ruby/
texmfstart.rb texexec "$1"

I recommend calling this ConTeXt_TeXLive.engine or another reasonable
name which doesn't conflict with the built in ConTeXt typesetting.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu