[OS X TeX] installing from TeXLive

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Fri Nov 17 10:01:34 EST 2006

> On 2006 Nov 17 , at 13.19, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> The command line is not case sensitive, at least not in bash shell.
>
> To be precise, the command line (ie, bash) _is_ case sensitive, but
> the filesystem is not.

Right.  In particular, tab-completion is case sensitive -- type "cd /
usr/local/tet<TAB>" and bash will simply bark at you. :-)

> Thus 'ls /usr/local/teTeX' and 'ls /usr/local/tetex' are different
> commands -- bash and other shells are perfectly able to tell them
> apart -- but on HFS+, 'teTeX' and 'tetex' are the same file.

Yes -- and note that some folks do use traditional unix filesystems
on their Macs, esp in environments where they have to rsync with non-
Mac unix machines that might have files and dirs that differ only in
case.  Is there any reason why Apple clobbered case-sensitivity?
 From my largely uneducated perspective, it doesn't seem to have been
a good choice.

Chris Menzel