[OS X TeX] TeXshop

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Fri Nov 17 11:09:58 EST 2006

Le 17 nov. 06 à 17:01, Claus Gerhardt a écrit :

> I think only three tex installations will be of importance teTeX
> and TeXLive (Gerben) and texlive (the original). As far as I know
> the path for texlive will contain a symlink and all texlive200i
> installations will be symlinked to it, i.e., their path will never
> change.
>
> I assume that TeXShop will ask at start up "which tex" and get the
> relevant information.

The which command assumes that the launch process already knows the
information, in general by parsing some profile resource file.
Using "which tex" at startup will work from the Terminal but not from
another application because the PATH variable is not set like for
terminal.app.
The first idea is to let the application parse those resource
files... rather hard at first glance.
The second idea is to ask the terminal to retrieve the information
and send it back to the caller.
In short

TeXShop asks AppleScript to ask Terminal to return the result of
"which tex"

and I do not mention the way back to TeXShop once the information is
retrieved...
In practice, this is not as efficient as storing all the relevant
full paths a priori

Moreover, knowing the path a priori give a better user experience
because it allows to make a more explicit user interface