[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Nov 17 11:30:37 EST 2006

Norman,

I only know texlive 2005 and cannot speak for prior distributions.
However, installing and configuring (the install location) of that
distribution was a pleasure, using it was as painless as using the
old Gerben installations with the added bonus that I made a full
install, i.e., almost all packages available on CTAN are included.

Moreover, because the installation process is so transparent and
because old texlive installations can be kept, I am feeling much more
at ease and for the first time capable of handling the tex
distributions myself: I moved from the passenger's seat to the
driver's seat. If, e.g., I have written an important book with the
help of a particular distribution using a multitude of packages, I
might want to keep that distribution around for later editing.
Switching between different distributions, making one the default,
will be as easy as clicking a button. Try switching between Gerben's
tetex and his TeXLive, cumbersome.

I certainly don't want to be uncharitable to Gerben, and my remarks
about the virtues of texlive and its advantages simply compare the
pros and cons of using the out of the box texlive installation or
having it rearranged and redistributed by Gerben or anyone else.

Maybe I started this discussion too early, since most of you didn't
have the pleasure of installing and using texlive 2005. Of course you
could install it yourself; or let us wait till Richard Koch will
offer a MacTeX solution. Then let us compare the old installations
with the new one again.

Claus