[OS X TeX] installing from TeXLive

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Fri Nov 17 11:37:49 EST 2006

>> Yes -- and note that some folks do use traditional unix
>> filesystems on their Macs, esp in environments where they have to
>> rsync with non-Mac unix machines that might have files and dirs
>> that differ only in case.  Is there any reason why Apple clobbered
>> case-sensitivity?  From my largely uneducated perspective, it
>> doesn't seem to have been a good choice.
>
> Because 99+% of Mac OS X users were migrating from Mac OS 9 and
> earlier, which displayed the same case-preserving-but-not-case-
> sensitive behavior that is the default in Mac OS X. (BTW, I don't
> particularly like it either!)

I suspect migration was indeed a major component of the decision --
though I'm  not sure Apple correctly anticipated just how many of us
would move to OS X from the Linux/*BSD world.  That said, Mac
marketshare suggests that the bulk of current OS X users are former
Windows users, where not even the shell is case sensitive.  So from
that perspective, at least, it seems to be have been a reasonable
decision.

Chris Menzel