[OS X TeX] TeX based on TeX Live release

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Fri Nov 17 15:49:26 EST 2006

I mailed the following directly to Jeff, rather than to the whole list,
so here it is for everyone else.

 > Adam,

>  I'm preparing to migrate to the TeXLive i-package, and I have
>  precisely the same question you raised in the below message.  Did you
>
>  ever get an answer to it?  I searched the list and didn't find one.
>
>  TIA,
>
>  Jeff

Jeff--

I never got an answer to my questions (see below). I went ahead anyhow,
doing the following: I followed the instructions from Texshop
(see below also) but instead of choosing the i-installer teTeX package
(the "TeX" step, below), I chose the MacTeX package from i-installer.
Everything works extraordinarily well. All my documents come out precisely as
they did before. I have now delted the teTeX material from my disk to make sure
 that there can never be any interference from it. What you will have to do,
and this is something that has come up before on this list, is make sure that
you change all of your pathnames that mention teTeX to Mactex. This includes
Texshop. I also use Emacs and I had make various changes there. I left
~/Library/texmf/tex/, ~/Library/texmf/latex/ and the like exactly as they were.

I would like to reiterate this point, which Alan Munn raised in another thread
("Now we are grown up", started by Claus G): what the i-installer provided,
together with the TS documentation, was a way to get a full-powered TeX
distribution, with GS, Imagemagick, and all the other things mentioned below.
 I don't know exactly what these things do, or where they should go, and I
wouldn't have known to install them. I am beginning now to have an inkling of
what some of these things do, for instance, provide more powerful font
capabilities, and also, on-the-fly image format conversions. Whatever use is
made of MacTeX, I hope that something of gwTeX lives on---not just the
i-installer, but the choice of additional software that goes with it, or at
least some documentation about what additional software is required so that a
new TeX user can get started typesetting and writing complex documents right
away.

-Adam G.