[OS X TeX] TeXLive: What about Fink teTeX users?

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 21 17:22:20 EST 2006

John B. Thoo wrote:
> Hello, everyone.  I've been reading the threads on TeXLive, Gerben's
> soon-to-be-discontinued support of i-Installer, and a means to install
> TeXLive ourselves with great interest and some trepidation.
>
> I currently use teTeX installed with Fink.  I write using vi, latex from
> an xterm window, and view using xdvi.  But that is about the extent of
> my "command line savvy."  So, now I'm wondering how I should proceed.

If you are happy with your setup, why do you think you need to change?
Don't let yourself get infected by the slightly insane excitement that
currently rages on this list. Remain seated comfortably on the sidelines
and enjoy the show :-)

> I finally upgraded to Tiger only a few weeks ago, so I'm perfectly happy
> with being patient, as a few here have suggested, and not rush to
> install TeXLive.  But it sounds like I will have to move to TeXLive at
> some point.  Would installing TeXLive be as easy as Claus proposes for
> someone with my setup?  Would Fink ever support TeXLive?  What are my
> options?

While I cannot speak for Fink's maintainer of the tetex package, I know
that he is using TeX all the time for his professional work, and I am
confident that he will make sure that Fink will always have working TeX
packages. I am using Fink's TeX (together with TeXshop) every day, too,
and I can only hope that the switch to some sort of TeXlive - which is
probably inevitable in the long run - is still a long time away.

--
Martin