[OS X TeX] Three new MacTeX install packages

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Nov 23 19:19:07 EST 2006

Le 23 nov. 06 à 23:02, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 23.11.2006 um 22:38 schrieb André Bellaïche:
>
>> Example: how do you find a step-by-step explaination of the
>> functionment of a simple macro as \@startsection? In the old
>> times, you had only to read the commented out lines in "latex.tex".
>
> And now you can use a Spotlight ...

  I had never used Spotlight before. I never think of using the new
tools (and I am fond of the old dictionaries --- I like lists better
than trees).

Anyway, a little try with \@startsection into Spotlight leads you to
the old latex.tex from 1992 (I didn't think it was there, on my
computer) and to latex.ltx, which is at first sight looks very
uninformative, but let you find the file ltsect.dtx, which in turn
leads you (with Spotlight) to ltsect.pdf, where you find what you
were looking for: the pseudocode for \@startsection.

Thanks, Peter.

Another try for the question "how can you use \DeclareFontShape to
make scaled fonts" (input \DeclareFontShape + scale into Spotlight)
did'nt work as well, because the Font Installation Guide has nothing
about that.  I had to go outside of my own hard disk and to Google
for 15 minutes or so to find the (very simple) answer.

There are also questions I cannot think of, about things I don't even
know they exists. For that, books or mailing-lists (not mailing
trees) are better, I think.