[OS X TeX] Re: Path to TeX macro files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 25 11:05:29 EST 2006

On Nov 25, 2006, at 6:49 AM, David Goldschmidt wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm running a standard install of TeX (on Tiger) which I got from
> CTAN, following
> instructions given with TeXShop.  I believe the package is called
> MacTeX.   The good news is that the install worked completely
> automatically and TeX is running perfectly.  The bad news is that I
> don't
> know where anything is or how the installation actually works.  My
> problem is that I'm trying to install a version of the CWEB literate
> programming
> system.  The makefile requires a path to TEXINPUTS, which is
> described as
> "the directory for TeX macro files".  The default given is
> TEXINPUTS=/usr/local/tex/inputs
> which is clearly wrong.  What is the correct path?
>
> Thanks in advance --
>
> David Goldschmidt

Howdy,

I discovered, quite a while ago, that almost everything TeX I hear
about and want to try is included in gwTeX (the distribution included
in the MacTeX installer); thank you Gerben again! :-)

Either use locate (assuming the database is updated) or which (for
executables) or Spotlight (if you've forced the indexing of /usr/
local/teTeX/ [ummm... I'm still there]) ---or--- just try it, you may
be pleasantly surprised!

Occasionally I need to get an updated version of a package (or
usually interrelated packages). These I put into my personal tree in
sub-directories of ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/UpdatedPackages/ so I
can later check them against the versions in any updated TeX system I
may install.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)