[OS X TeX] Re: Remarks on the /usr/bin/texprograms symlink

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Sun Nov 26 08:35:00 EST 2006

Thanks again Gerben, overdue for many years, as I have greatly
enjoyed using and benefiting from your TeX installation system.

On 2006 Nov 26, at 7:10 AM, Bruno Voisin indited:
> Le 26 nov. 06 à 11:53, Claus Gerhardt a écrit :
>> (1) there is only one TeX distribution installed on the Macintosh
>>
>> (2) there is only one user who is then also administrator.
>>
>> The latter assumption might still be valid nowadays, however, the
>> first is now definitely wrong. I have already two different TeX
>> distributions installed (teTeX and TeXLive (TUG) using TeXLive's
>> installer script) and some users may have even three
>> (teTeX,TexLive (Gerben), and TeXLive (MacTeX)). In the future
>> there will be yearly updates of TeXLive (TUG), i.e., a typical
>> user will have installed at least two, but even three or more
>> TeXLive (TUG) versions from different years.
>
> I totally disagree. Assumptions (1) and (2) are, IMO, the only Mac
> way of using TeX: something that just works, and under whose hood
> you don't have to look at.

> Perhaps some TeX addicts or nerds will want to install more than
> one TeX distro on their Macs. I'm probably one of them, having
> already the teTeX-based and TeXLive-based i-Packages installed, and
> at some point in December I'll experiment with direct TeXLive
> install. But those users are a minority, and TeX on the Mac should
> not be made more complex, more difficult to deal with, just for
> that minority.

Yes! I can't really believe that Claus is serious in suggesting, as
quoted above, that I'll have to have a completely separate TeX
installation just for each year's TexLive. That is beyound insane. I
have no interest in a such an implicitly unstable TeX system that I
have to go get a whole frakin' new version every bloody year. At this
point I will probably update one last time when Gerben indicates he's
released his last stable version, and then.... who cares... I need my
TeX system to work. I switched to a Mac from a PC back when the 286
was just about to be replaced by a 386. I switched then because I was
sick of fiddling with my system instead of using it. I have no
interest in repeating that experience with any piece of software,
esp. not my workhorse TeX toolchain. Fortunately I've also found that
while I have never upgraded my TeX system for reasons of need, I have
felt it reasonable to occasionally run the i-Installer and see if
anything new has popped up. I trust Gerben's release vetting system
and (so far) have never regretted using it.

Related, but separate, perhaps, is the point to notice that most of
the software I'm using on a Mac these days (and a number of programs
that I have to use on a PC for my day-job) have the ability to within
themselves check for new/updated versions. TeX being so heavily a
command line program, I would not expect that, and yet, that is
precisely what the i-Installer gave me. It was a bit more manual of a
process than just selecting a menu item "Check for Updates", but then
TeX (or LaTeX) itself is not a program that is always running (which
a browser often is, for counterpoint).

I have become very spoilt by Gerben's system and its quality, and
will miss it. If I have the time going forward, I would like to
participate in the group effort to continue that work going forward...

> All these threads from the past few days must be leaving normal
> users with the impression that TeX on the Mac has become a beast,
> practically impossible to deal with without the help of this list
> or without a nearby Mac and TeX guru. That is not the case, and
> that should never be the case.

Hear Hear!

				--Doug