[OS X TeX] Remarks on the /usr/bin/texprograms symlink

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Nov 26 12:31:32 EST 2006

On Nov 26, 2006, at 00:39, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2006, at 02:00 , Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> In my opinion Gerben's i-Installer shouldn't be used any more for
>> installing TeX, MacTeX does it too and better with respect to the
>> symlink.
>
> OK. Shall I end support by Dec 1 instead?

I wouldn't blame you if you did.  Good grief.

> PS. If there are people who will take over TeX i-Package maintenance
> ans support, they will be able to create an i-Package that will
> enable users to keep up to date during the year without having to
> download half a GB every time when only a few things have failed. It
> will also be possible to adapt the i-Package to updating a ISO-image
> based TeX Live install. The ability to organise things such that you
> can coexist has been one of the design criteria for i-Installer. The
> only reason that until recently there was no such an updater i-
> Package was that there were some fundamental differences between the
> teTeX-texmf setup and the TL setup.

Is the current TeX Live-based i-Package more recent than the TeX Live
ISO?  My understanding was that you tracked changes more frequently
than once a year, so users switching to the TL ISO now might see some
regressions.

What skills would be required for maintenance of the TeX i-Package?

Adam