[OS X TeX] Book Design Resources

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Nov 27 08:46:06 EST 2006

On Nov 27, 2006, at 8:35 AM, David Oliver wrote:

> I am laying the groundwork for a new book that is of more general
> character than usual  LaTeX physics and math articles and
> textbooks. Were there no math involved, I would create this project
> in Adobe CS with the book layout and typesetting managed in
> InDesign. But mathematics is a significant part of this book and it
> cannot be done to the required level of quality without LaTeX. The
> book will therefore be done in LaTeX.

Say rather that it can't be done reasonably, quickly and w/o
introducing the need to proof all equations character for character.
People do high-quality mathematics using things like York Graphics'
Xmath in Quark, and there's a similar plug-in for Adobe InDesign.

> Since the archive of packages is so vast, I invite users to
> recommend packages they have found helpful for more flexible book
> design than the LaTeX defaults. I am aware of the geometry package
> and intend to use it. Is the memoir class the most well-suited for
> a project of this kind? Are their other packages of which I am
> unaware that provide resources for a richer book design environment
> than the defaults?

The memoir class has its own commands to replace those of the
geometry class.

In terms of its having its own manual, and ``swallowing up'' other
excellent classes (e.g., booktabs) it's in a class of its own for
this sort of thing and I highly recommend it.

> Lastly, there have been a number of documents describing the
> installation of new fonts in LaTeX, a process that is less simple
> than one might hope, and some of these go pack some years. What is
> the most up to date document describing installation of new fonts?

If possible, use XeTeX <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex> and Will
Robertson's fontspec <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/xetex/
latex/fontspec/>.

If not, Philipp Lehman's _The Font Installation Guide_ is as good as
it gets: <http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/
fontinstallationguide/fontinstallationguide.pdf>

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.