[OS X TeX] Font embedding

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Mon Nov 27 15:48:56 EST 2006

George Gratzer wrote:
> I was talking to a publisher who said that they need pdf files in
> which the Adobe Type 1 fonts are completely embedded. I could not tell
> her if this is the case with TeXShop.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> GG
> -----------------------
I can't give an authoritative answer to this, but I believe that there
is a way of encoding PDF's called PDF-X, which embeds fonts. You produce
the PDF as usual with pdfTeX, and then you can open it in Preview and
print it as a PDF; select the PDF-X option. You will lose some
information such as hyperlinks, and there are requirements on what
colors are used, but my understanding is that fonts are embedded in some
way that is more than what is usually included with a PDF. Sorry I can't
be more specific about this.

Try this link:

http://www.globalgraphics.com/products/pdfx/benefits.html

They state the following. Note the last sentence:
> PDF/X-1a:2001 is designed to provide the most robust and, to some
> extent, least flexible delivery of PDF content data. It requires that
> the color of all objects be expressed in CMYK or spot colors, prepared
> for the intended printing conditions. Elements in RGB or Lab color
> spaces or tagged with ICC profiles are prohibited. It also requires
> that all fonts used in the job be embedded in the supplied PDF file.

I have tried to find out more about this, without much success.

-Adam G