[OS X TeX] local vs. global symlink

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Tue Nov 28 21:53:38 EST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 8:36 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> In my home directory are 11 "folders" and nothing else. Two of the
> folders are symlinks  texmf and texprograms and I can't detect any
> clutter or pollution by junk . I already encountered similar
> reactions about the questions if one could place a symlink texmf in
> ~/ as I did, but these reactions are very difficult to understand -
> at least for someone like me.

The Apple Guidelines are very clear on this matter:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPFileSystem/Articles/WhereToPutFiles.html

"It is important to remember that the user domain (/Users) is
intended for files created by the user. With the exception of the ~/
Library directory, your application should never install files into
the user’s home directory. In particular, you should never install
files into a user’s Documents directory or into the /Users/Shared
directory. These directories should only be modified by the user."

I like the idea of putting things under a ~/Library/TeX folder. I
would perhaps suggest ~/Library/Application Support/TeX instead
(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPFileSystem/Articles/LibraryDirectory.html).

> Claus

Haris