[OS X TeX] local vs. global symlink

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Wed Nov 29 08:48:38 EST 2006

Le 29 nov. 06 à 02:36, Claus Gerhardt a écrit :

> In my home directory are 11 "folders" and nothing else. Two of the
> folders are symlinks  texmf and texprograms and I can't detect any
> clutter or pollution by junk . I already encountered similar
> reactions about the questions if one could place a symlink texmf in
> ~/ as I did, but these reactions are very difficult to understand -
> at least for someone like me.

Let me explain my point of view: the accessibility/visibility of a
folder should be inversely proportional to the need to read its
contents by double clicking.

As the texprograms is never used for that purpose, it should not be
put in evidence
The texmf folder is rarely used, so put it deeper

Moreover, there migh be a problem of security: All the folders in
your home directory are already setup with some access privilege.
Adding a new folder, whether a link or not, may add a security hole.
If you put this inside the Library folder, you'll be protected by the
enclosing folder.