[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Paul Vickers eattheword at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:42:45 EST 2006

Schremmer

I only meant aesthetically unacceptable -- case in point, I still
read the thesis and it was really quite good. I am just saying that
the maths bits looked horrible and that made it harder to read. Hell,
I even us MSWord myself (though less and less). In July I sent magnum
opus to the publisher, all 200,000 words and all written with MSWord.
It looks nice 'cause I spent a lot of time on the template. What pi$
$sed me off were the bugs: the numbered lists that kept resetting
themselves; the indented lists that kept changing their indents; the
wonderful master document feature that keeps wanting to put new
chapters on left hand pages despite instructions to the opposite,
etc. etc. Oh, and the (albeit very few) equations in it look horrible
'cause they're set in Equation Editor. I have started redoing them
all in LaTeX Equation Service and importing the PDFs.

So, to sum up: Word is a pain a) 'cause its maths is ugly and b)
'cause its bugs make you pull your hair out in frustration. Of
course, LaTeX wastes similar amounts of time in learning how to do
things that are simply in Word but the advantage is that a) once
learnt I now know how to do it and b) it doesn't keep changing its
mind like Word.

I never meant to come across as a LaTeX bigot: people can use Word as
much as they like. But lets not ignore its negatives.

Best

Paul