[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Nov 29 15:15:53 EST 2006

At 2:53 PM -0500 11/29/06, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>Adam Goldstein wrote:
>

>>-The NSF (US government) accepts uploads in various formats;
>>apparently it automatically re-formats the text into a standard
>>style no matter what format you use. PDF is accepted, and so is
>>LaTeX source, and Word.
>
>That is interesting. Is there anything known about this?

 From my workings with NSF this is not quite true.  NSF proposals are
built out of PDF files and the formatting is more or less up to the
author.  What is true is that the NSF grant proposal system will
accept many document formats and create PDFs out of them.  I've
always just made my own PDFs and uploaded them directly.

Now NSF is being forced into the new anti-Mac grants.gov system (to
give you an idea, for the past year the Mac "support" consisted of
telling you to run Virtual PC and Windows!) Now they have a Mac
"version" of the software with the following disclaimer:

Software limitations may include:

     * Occasional crashes and subsequent loss of any unsaved data
     * Inability to submit large applications (greater than 20-40 MB
depending on your system and network)
     * Inability to run on Intel-based Macs or any Mac OS version
prior to 10.4.6
     * No support for screen readers for visually impaired users

But this is another rant entirely, and not of much interest to non US readers.

Alan

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics                                   amunn at acm.org