[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Scott Murman smurman at segosha.net
Thu Nov 30 23:36:44 EST 2006

> Thus, within a decade, it seems TeX has turned from a de-facto
> standard into an afterthought. This reminded me of the discussion
> we had some time ago here, about Word being considered more and
> more as good enough even for academic mathematical prose.

in the last decade computer programming for undergrad engineers has
also been phased out in favor of matlab or other variants.  meanwhile
tex/latex is still laboring with usability difficulties for control
of figure/table inclusion, and doesn't integrate with other
applications such as spreadsheets or graphics editors.

welcome to the niche.  hope it doesn't get too tight.

-SM-