[OS X TeX] Questions about a clean? install

Josep M. Font jmfont at inicia.es
Sat Oct 7 13:56:31 EDT 2006

El 07/10/2006, a las 15:05, McGarry Vince escribió:

> I selected no personal configuration and the old behavior for
> updmap, etc. I ran an old Plain TeX file using Computer Modern
> fonts, only, which proceeded to create the directory /private/var/
> tmp/texfonts/ in which it installed some files.
>
> I then added my personal files and LaTeXed a document using only
> Lucida fonts (confirmed by looking at the document properties for
> embedded fonts in Reader) and once again some files were added to /
> private/var/tmp/texfonts/.

Surprise! I looked, and yes, I also have this folder, which contains
stuff called "jknapen" and files seemingly related to "ecrm", etc.
fonts. The creation date of this folder is, IIRC, the date of my
*first* TeX installation (standard i-Installer + TeXShop) in this
*new* machine.

> What are these? And in a properly operating system should these be
> created?

I would also like to know...

JMaF