[OS X TeX] Questions about a clean? install

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Oct 9 08:08:25 EDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 3:33 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> In case you don't need generation of bitmap EC fonts (for example
> you've installed the CM-Super fonts, or you're always using
> PostScript fonts such as Times etc. when you write \usepackage[T1]
> {fontenc}), then there's an easy way of avoiding the generation of
> the EC TFM files inside /private/etc/tmp/texfonts: install, in /usr/
> local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/tfm/jknappen, all the files
> from the tfm subdirectory of <ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/
> fonts/ec.zip>. In this way you'll get all the EC TFM metrics pre-
> installed.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I did this quite a while ago since and it works fine. Every once in a
long time I end up using a font I didn't use before and a new tfm is
needed (but it is a rare occasion now); I then move that to its
proper place in texmf.local. The only thing you have to be careful
about is dealing with these tfm files if the metrics change. I rarely
use CM, in most of its variants, any more---still love my Lucida most
of the time.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)